Recently we were honored to have Yescka design and paint a mural on the Artmatcher office. Given that, and because Yescka is awesome, we wanted to share more about his story and work.
Who is Yescka?
In 1998, at the age of 15, Yescka began to paint graffiti on the streets of the city of Oaxaca, Mexico. Then, in 2006 when a political-social movement arose in Oaxaca, Yescka took up street art to create social commentary.
In the same year, Yescka united with various artists who converge and decide to form one of the most prominent artists collectives in Oaxaca.
The Assembly of Revolutionary Artists of Oaxaca (ASARO), was created to make art more committed to addressing the needs of the community through art.
Since then, most of Yescka’s art is can be found around the streets of Oaxaca, though you will find his works on canvas as well.
Yescka uses various techniques to create his work (graffiti, stencil, acrylic, etc.)
Welcome to Mexico – Yescka and Irie Revoltes
In this video, Yescka works with the band Irie Revoltes at the Bahnstadt Festival in Halle02 in Heidelberg. Through art and music, they offer a model for commenting on political and social injustice in Mexico and the world.
Yescka has a rich history of producing and showing his art. Some of his solo shows include:
- 2018 resistance poster / gestaltung – zurich, Germany
- 2018 mujeres en lucha / Die Färberei – munich, Germany
- 2016 Monarca / curate good gallery – san jose C.A, United States
- 2016 Transgression / Open Source Gallery – new york, United States
- 2014 gettin up para pueblo / Albuquerque Museum – nuevo mexico, United States
- 2014 Art Creates Water / hamburgo – hamburgo, Germany