Digital printing is a technique of printing from a digital-based image directly to a variety of media. It usually refers to professional printing where small-run jobs from desktop publishing and other digital sources are printed using large-format and/or high-volume laser or inkjet printers. Digital printing has been around for more than 25 years, but it has only recently become an viable option for printing high quality marketing materials.
Digital printing offers many benefits over traditional printing techniques, including:
- Lower setup costs – With digital printing, there are no plates or screens to create, so the setup costs are much lower than traditional offset printing.
- Faster turnaround times – Since there is no need for plates or screens, digital printing has shorter turnaround times than offset printing.
- Increased flexibility – Digital printing allows you to make changes to your artwork or design quickly and easily, without the need for expensive re-tooling of plates or screens.
- Higher quality – With advances in digital print technology, the quality of digital printed materials has increased dramatically in recent years, making it a viable option for even the most demanding print applications.
- Lower costs – Digital printing is often more cost-effective than offset printing for small to medium-sized print jobs.