The Pitti Palace (Italian: Palazzo Pitti) is a vast, mainly Renaissance, palace in Florence, Italy. It is situated on the south side of the River Arno, a short distance from the Ponte Vecchio. The core of the present palazzo dates from 1458 and was originally the residence of Luca Pitti, an ambitious Florentine banker.
The palace was bought by the Medici family in 1549 and became the principal residence of the ruling families of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany. It grew as a great treasure house as later generations amassed paintings, plates, jewelry and luxurious possessions.
In the late 18th century, the palazzo was used as a base by Napoleon’s troops during their invasion of Tuscany. It was looted by the French and later restored by the Bourbon kings of Naples, who added some ornate frescoes. Today, it is the largest museum complex in Florence.
The palazzo is open to the public for exhibitions, and contains several art galleries, a museum of fashion and costumes, and numerous priceless works of art. It is one of the largest buildings in Florence and has been described as “one of the most imposing private residences ever erected”.
The first floor of the palazzo houses the Palatine Gallery, a long gallery displaying paintings from the Medici collection. The second floor contains the Gallery of Maps and the Gallery of Tapestries. The third-floor houses the Porcelain Museum, the fourth floor has temporary exhibitions.