In this episode of the Artmatcher podcast, Michael Goodman speaks with Joshua Hashemzadeh about current digital trends in the art industry. The duo discusses how to succeed in markets dominated by technology, where the entire world is your competition. They get into the nitty-gritty of NFT’s and digital markets, asking questions like, “Do NFT’s have longevity, or are they merely a fad?” “Does influencer marketing actually work?” They relay the crazy experiences they’ve had at art shows, along with the discrepancies in accessibility to art versus other forms of entertainment.
About Joshua Hashemzadeh
Joshua H. Hashemzadeh (b. 1993), has a BFA from the San Francisco Art Institute and lives and works in Los Angeles. His work, often derived from collected objects and typographies is built around an investigation of language and its link to art-historical pedagogy, socio-economic critique, and cultural iconicism. As a mixed-race first-generation American, both his curatorial and artistic practices reflect on ideas of belonging and ideological systems of value & classification. Recent work has been featured in several exhibitions with recent highlights including Nomad, Torrance Art Museum, CA; Semblance | Sunshine, Torrance Art Museum, CA; Office Hours, Main Museum, Los Angeles; FIVE, Baik Art, Los Angeles; Poster, Black Ball Projects, Brooklyn; and Our little Angle, Diego Rivera Gallery, San Francisco. Notable curatorial projects also include Semblance | Sunshine, Torrance Art Museum, Torrance; 2020 Armory Show Presents, New York; Re-Verb, Baik Art, Los Angeles; and Henosis, Baik Art Seoul, South Korea.
Joshua has had numerous solo exhibitions over the years. Some highlights include his exhibitions at MRG Fine Art Gallery.
- 2017 – B.O.G.O., MRG Fine Art, Los Angeles, CA
- 2016 – Critique of Reason, MRG Fine Art, Los Angeles, CA
- 2014 – Bubbles & Glass, MRG Fine Art, Los Angeles, CA
Joshua has received some great press over the years that we recommend you check out.
- 2020, “Semblance | Sunshine Alumni Spotlight: Joshua Hossain Hashemzadeh,” SFAI (im)material Blog
- 2020, “Semblance | Sunshine’ and ‘Music to My Eyes’ at Torrance Art Museum,” Artillery Magazine
- 2020, “Featured: Semblance | Sunshine,” Curate LA
- 2020, “Armory Access: Yesterday- Tomorrow,” The Armory Show
- 2018, “BAD Summer at Baik Art, by Jody Zellen,” Art and Cake
- 2017, “Baik Art Opens a Vibrant Collaborative Installation in Their LA Storefront,” Juxtapoz Magazine
- 2017, “10 Galleries to Visit Now in Brooklyn,” The New York Times
Watch on YouTube
- 0:30 Getting to know Joshua
- 3:14 Working with your disadvantages
- 10:38 Delving into NFT’s and digital markets
- 26:20 The LA art scene and beyond
- 41:25 What actually goes on at art shows?
- 45:35 Fame, popularity, and accessibility